Airbnb and Short Term Lettings

Home Forums Other Discussions Airbnb and Short Term Lettings

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Davesuli41 Davesuli41 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Davesuli41
    Davesuli41
    Participant

Hi guys, is airbnb a marketing company or a property company?

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Davesuli41 Davesuli41.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Davesuli41 Davesuli41.
    Profile photo of Streber
    Streber
    Keymaster

The reason you are getting three different answers is likely because it’s legally unclear or new grounds. The harsh reality is that you probably won’t know if you can get away with calling a marketing company until you do so and see how the HMRC reacts.

If you go for calling it a marketing company (or a services company), make sure you set up paperwork, procedures, and policies to structure the company as one. Go the whole mile. Half-hearted efforts are a leading cause of tax non-compliance.

That said, I don’t think a marketing company could reasonably collect rent. I can’t really think of any comparable situations where a marketing company collects or holds funds on behalf of the entity for which it is marketing. It’s likely at that point the HMRC would throw out your marketing claims. Taking payment could be construed as rendering the service since the service is rendered on condition of payment.

Profile photo of Davesuli41
    Davesuli41
    Participant

Hi Strieber, I appreciate your reply.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Davesuli41 Davesuli41.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar